Miami Heat owner Micky Arison said in a radio interview Tuesday that as good as the teams first two championships felt (in 2006 and 2012), the third and fourth are going to feel even better.
In his first local interview since June, Arison told WQAM-560s Joe Rose that only 10 teams have won multiple championships, and only five have won three or more. Thats a small club we want to be part of. It will be interesting to see how hungry all these guys are now that theyve got one ring.
Arison is heartened by the fact that his team has veteran guys who have seen what happens to teams when they come back off a championship. They understand the issues and are very motivated to get it done again.
But Arison added: This year will be as challenging as ever. Its the deepest team I can remember. How to dole out minutes will be a challenge.
Of his team, Arison said: I cant recall ever seeing a team with this much three-point shooting. Its going to be a lot of fun to watch.
He called summer additions Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis two terrific guys, two good locker room guys, two guys that can really shoot. The best of all is Dwyane [ Wade] doesnt have to chase [Allen] around the floor.
The one thing we saw in the Finals is when we were shooting the three well it really opened the floor for Dwyane and LeBron [ James].
Though Arison often attended practice during the playoffs, he said, Im not micromanaging the team. Im not involved day-to-day like that. If theres anything I can do to help, I will. More important than anything else is getting out of their way. You cant micromanage because all youre going to do is frustrate people. If you do, youre not going to get the best people.
Arison said the Lakers on paper [are] a great-looking team. It does take a while to get the chemistry right, as we saw here a couple years ago. It will be interesting to see whether theyve stepped ahead of Oklahoma City.
Celtics coach Doc Rivers cracked Tuesday morning that while the Heat is receiving its rings before the game, we are going to watch [Showtimes] Homeland We think thats a very good series.
But seriously We were hoping Oklahoma City would play them on ring night, Rivers said. I dont know why they chose us. Rivers said ring night for James is his payback night, and he deserves it. Hes gone through more scrutiny than any athlete I can ever remember. Im happy for him.
This and that
• With the Heat having been dismantled by the Bulls on its ring night in 2006, coach Erik Spoelstra said Tuesday morning: We dont want to celebrate that and stink up the joint.
• Rivers doesnt like when he hears the Heat is defending the title, noting: Its a new trophy thats available. They dont own it.
• The Celtics played a tape of Game 7 of the Heat-Celtics Eastern Finals on a continuous loop at its practice facility throughout training camp. I would have thought they would have watched Game 6, Wade said. Thats the game they had us [against the wall].
• Is this the best team on paper that James has been a part of? Its one of the best, if not the best. But were not where we want to be. James said: Ive heard a lot about what my career should be, what it shouldnt be, but I control my own destiny.
• Spoelstra, on his rotation: Sometimes, it will change game to game. Im not going to play a 12-, 13-man rotation. We easily could. Guys are deserving of that.