Boy could face arson charges in Mitchell Senior School fire

January 18, 2013 

— A 14-year-old Mitchell Senior School student is in hot water after being suspected of starting a fire inside the school's bathroom this week.

The fire was reported Wednesday afternoon at the 1753 Fifth St. school, according to police Lt. Sam Joseph.

No injuries were reported.

Police believe someone used a lighter to ignite a toilet paper dispenser in a stall of the school's 100-wing boys restroom.

The fire burned the dispenser and created a lot of smoke, but the flames didn't spread beyond the bathroom. Firefighters responded and quickly extinguished the fire, according to California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Battalion Chief Paul Avila.

Police reviewed surveillance footage from the school and later took the boy into custody.

Joseph said the boy was returned to his parents, although the case will be reviewed to determine whether he will face arson charges.

Firefighters estimate the fire caused about $2,500 in damage.

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service