Probation sweep results in five arrests

mnorth@mercedsunstar.comMarch 21, 2013 

LIVINGSTON -- A probation sweep aimed at reducing crime and gang influence resulted in five arrests Wednesday.

The Livingston Police Department joined the Merced County Probation Department to conduct the operation.

Officers first went to the 800 block of Eighth Street around 1:50 p.m. and contacted 20-year-old Gustavo Medina, said Sgt. Ray Fong of the Livingston Police Department.

During a search of his residence, officers found hashish oil in a soda can. The illegal drug, which he was arrested on suspicion of possessing, is extracted from marijuana.

Medina was also arrested on suspicion of violating the gang conditions of his probation, Fong said.

After that arrest, officers went to the 1600 block of Chianti Court at about 2:50 p.m. to contact 29-year-old Cristobal Zurita, Fong said. A resident at the house told officers Zurita wasn't there, but when they searched the house, they found him hiding under a bed. Zurita surrendered without incident.

Zurita was in possession of a glass pipe commonly used to smoke methamphetamine and a modified car key, which is used to steal cars, Fong said. He was arrested for three felony warrants in addition to the drug paraphernalia and burglary tools he allegedly had in his possession.

Officers also went to the 9800 block of Ferrel Court in Delhi at 4:20 p.m. and met with 21-year-old Mark Clark, Fong said. He was arrested on suspicion of violating the gang conditions of his probation.

Officers then went to Merced and contacted 27-year-old Miguel Narvaez, who was arrested on suspicion of violating his probation, Fong said.

While in Merced, officers also found 51-year-old Angel Narvaez, who had two misdemeanor arrest warrants and was allegedly in possession of methamphetamine and a glass pipe, Fong said.

Chief Ruben Chavez of the Livingston Police Department said the arrests are part of stepped up efforts to combat burglaries.

For several months, the Livingston Police Department has successfully pushed to reduce burglaries. Last month, that number dropped to zero. There have been two burglaries so far this month.

Three months after the Police Department started its campaign to reduce burglaries, more than a dozen suspects have been arrested in connection with multiple burglaries.

All suspects arrested Wednesday were booked into the Merced County Jail.

Reporter Mike North can be reached at (209) 385-2453 or mnorth@mercedsunstar.com.

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service