Local sex offender convicted of child pornography charge

April 1, 2013 

— A 54-year-old sex offender, who previously committed crimes in Merced County, pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to one count of receiving child pornography, according to the office of United States Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner.

Federal prosecutors said Charles Albert Risley Jr. of Turlock entered the plea before Senior United States District Judge Anthony W. Ishii, according Lauren Horwood, Wagner's spokesperson.

According to court documents, a Ceres Police Department detective determined Risley was making files of child pornography available to users of a file-sharing network in July and August of 2012.

Risley had been convicted in Merced County in 1993 for committing lewd acts with a child under the age of 14, and received a six-year prison term for that conviction.

In 2004 he was convicted in Stanislaus County for possession of child pornography. Risley admitted in court Monday that between July 20, 2012, and Sept. 1, 2012, he used the Internet to receive more than 600 images of child pornography. Many of the images depicted prepubescent minors, and several depicted violence or sadistic or masochistic conduct, according to Horwood.

Risley is scheduled to be sentenced on June 10. He faces 15 to 40 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and a lifetime term of supervised release. The actual sentence will be determined at the discretion of the court after consideration of any applicable statutory sentencing factors and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, which take into account a number of variables, Horwood said.

The case was a result of an investigation by the FBI and the Ceres Police Department. Risley has been in federal custody since Oct, 12, 2012, and he has been ordered detained as a flight risk and danger to the community. Assistant United States Attorney David Gappa prosecuted the case.

— Sun-Star staff