Two shootings were reported late Saturday night in Merced, one of which injured a 16-year-old boy.
Merced police said the shootings happened within a block of one another in a span of about 45 minutes.
The first incident was reported at 11:06 p.m. in the first block of East Cone Avenue. Witnesses told officers a group of men had been arguing when shots rang out. When officers arrived they didn't locate anyone at the scene, police said.
About 45 minutes later, police responded to a shooting in the 300 block of Edan Court. Officers learned that an occupied residence had been hit by gunfire at least three times. Police found a 16-year-old victim suffering from a single gunshot wound to his left upper thigh.
The juvenile was flown to a Modesto hospital for his injuries. Officers determined that the victim was involved in the earlier altercation and fled to his home after being shot. The victim lived next door to the house that was struck by bullets on Edan Court.
Police are asking anyone with information to call Sgt. Scott Skinner at (209) 385-4702, or the department's automated tipline at (209) 385-4725. Tips are kept confidential and callers can remain anonymous.
Tips can be sent via text message to TIP411 (847411). Use "comvip" as the first word in the message.