LOS BANOS — The investigation into the shooting death of a 17-year-old last month is still ongoing, according to police.
Police have said they are continuing to speak with witnesses to determine the circumstances behind the death of Bidal Taito.
The California Department of Justice, which has been working with police to recreate the scene of the July 20 shooting, is still an active part in the investigation, said Los Banos Police Chief Gary Brizzee.
Police spent last week searching for an individual they believe was with Taito at the time of the shooting.
Taito, 17, died at a Modesto hospital July 20 after collapsing from a gunshot wound in an alleyway near the 100 block of West K Street. Police said they responded to an emergency call from a male resident reporting someone was attempting to kick in his door. Moments later, he told the dispatcher that he'd shot the person and needed help. He shot through his door, police said. Taito was struck in the back.
Law enforcement has not identified the shooter, saying only that the person is a relative of a former employee of the Los Banos Police Department.
A decision on whether an arrest will be made could be determined by autopsy results, which may include a toxicology report. Brizzee previously has said that the autopsy could take weeks.
Taito's funeral was Friday in Richmond.
Taito is the second homicide victim this year. The first was Shane Thomas Moore, 18, of Gustine, on March 4 in the 800 block of La Mesa Lane.
Los Banos Enterprise reporter Corey Pride can be reached at (209) 388-6563 or firstname.lastname@example.org.