Edison blanks Merced High football

Edison strikes early, often in blowout victory over Merced

September 13, 2013 

Merced High football coach Rob Scheidt wasn't kidding when he said Edison passes the look test.

The Tigers definitely have a lot of players who look good in a football uniform.

It turns out they can play, too.

Edison dismantled the Bears 45-0 on Friday night in front of a crowd of 3,000 at Veterans Stadium.

The game got away from the Bears early as they were slow to adjust to Edison's speed and athleticism.

The Tigers intercepted three passes in the first quarter, including a 31-yard pick returned for a touchdown by Tyler Horton.

The turnovers and Merced's inability to move the ball on offense allowed the Tigers to start five of their six first-half possessions on Merced's half of the field.

"Everything snowballed," Scheidt said. "Against a team like that, you can't make those mistakes. They're so explosive."

The Bears defense didn't have an answer for Edison quarter A.J. Greeley. The 5-8, 163-pound junior burned the Bears with his feet and his arm as he accounted for five touchdowns.

Greeley carried the ball 10 times for 63 yards, including touchdown runs of 14, 7 and 2 yards.

He connected with his favorite target, Tyrone Smith, for a pair of touchdowns.

"We can do a lot of things," said Greeley, who passed for 109 yards on seven of 12 attempts. "We can run it, we can pass it or we can quarterback sneak it. We just have to make the right reads."

The Bears just couldn't match up with the Tigers athletes.

Edison just found ways to make plays like a fourth-and-9 situation in the first quarter. With no receivers open down field and the Bears pass rush headed his way, Greeley just threw a ball up for grabs and the 6-foot-3 Smith outjumped Merced's 5-foot-10 Jamar Turner for a 38-yard touchdown.

"I know if I ever get in trouble I can just throw it up and T-Bone will go get it," Greeley said.

While Greeley and the Tigers offense capitalized on the great field position and put 33 points on the scoreboard in the first half, the Bears struggled to get anything going on offense.

Merced managed just 53 yards of offense in the first two quarter.

The Tigers pressured Merced quarterback Tyrone Williams into five interceptions to five different Edison players. Williams completed 10 of 25 passes for 93 yards. The Bears finished the game with negative 5 yards rushing.

It was the first time Merced was shut out in 42 games. The last shutout came in a 41-0 loss to Bullard to open the season on Sept. 4, 2009.

The Bears were trying to start 3-0 for the first time since 2007.

Merced lost three starters to injury, including a scary incident in the second half where offensive tackle Tony Lopez was carted off the field after he was being attended to by team doctors for 10 minutes.

"I think everyone will be OK," Scheidt said. "The biggest one was Tony and I think everything will be fine with him.

"He was unresponsive when I first got out there. His eyes were open and he was able to move everything. There was no neck injury. We were just being very protective."

The Bears will try to get back on track next week at Enochs.

Shawn Jansen is a Sun-Star reporter. He can be reached at 385-2462 or via email at sjansen@mercedsunstar.com.

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service