Arrests made in two shooting cases

cpride@losbanosenterprise.comOctober 18, 2013 

Arrests have been made in two separate shootings that occurred a year apart, according to the Los Banos Police Department.

Cmdr. Ray Reyna Jr. said the suspect in an Oct. 7 shooting in Los Banos was arrested in Stockton Tuesday. He said the Stockton Police Department has Michael Robert Mena, 31, of Los Banos in custody after picking him up on a warrant at a motel on the 2100 block of West March Lane. Mena was placed under arrest without incident and is in custody at a San Joaquin County Jail.

Los Banos police detectives are expected to make arrangements to have Mena transported to Merced County where he will be charged with the shooting, assault and battery, driving with a suspended driver’s license, resisting arrest, possession of a controlled substance, receiving stolen property, felon in possession of a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle, and being a gang member in possession of a loaded firearm, police said.

Mena’s arrest stems from an Oct. 7 incident in which police received a report of a shooting at an apartment complex in the 300 block of San Juan Avenue at 2:33a.m.

Law enforcement encountered a 30-year-old male who had been shot once in the leg. Officers learned the victim was approached by a Hispanic male, alleged to be Mena, outside of the apartment complex. The suspect reportedly confronted the victim about gang-related issues and shot him before leaving the area in an unknown direction, police said.

The victim was taken to Memorial Hospital, Los Banos and later flown to a Modesto area hospital where, according to police, he remains. Police said the victim is in stable condition.

Arrest made

On Monday detectives from the Los Banos Police Department and agents from the Merced Multi Agency Narcotics Task Force arrested Jonathan Lopez, 23, for a July 6, 2012 shooting which occurred on the 300 block of Eighth

Street.

Lopez was placed under arrest while he was working in a field near the area of Pioneer and Ortigalita roads. Detectives began conducting surveillance in the area after receiving information that Lopez was working for a local dairy.

Lopez was spotted by law enforcement and placed under arrest without incident, police said.

He was wanted for his alleged involvement in a shooting last year in which police found a man, 19, suffering from a gunshot wound to the leg in the 300 block of Eighth Street. Several shell casings were recovered at the scene and witnesses told police they saw a black vehicle leaving the area after the shooting.

Lopez’s arrest marks the last of the four suspects police believe to be involved in this incident.

“This case was over a year old but our detectives continued working on it resulting in a successful outcome,” Cmdr. Ray Reyna Jr. said.

Lopez is being held at the Merced County Main Jail pending $550,000.00 bail. He is expected to be charged with attempted murder, conspiracy to commit a crime, participation in a criminal street gang. He also was wanted for an active domestic violence arrest warrant.

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service