Suspect sought in weekend shooting near Fosters Freeze in Atwater

rparsons@mercedsun-star.comDecember 16, 2013 

— An Atwater man was shot multiple times late Sunday near a fast food restaurant by at least one suspect who remains at large.

Ulysses Perez, 25, was found about 9:17 p.m. near the Fosters Freeze in the 1400 block of Winton Way, Atwater police said.

He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was bleeding, but was conscious and clutching a knife, Lt. Sam Joseph said.

However Perez did not disclose any information as to what led to the shooting or who was responsible, police said in a statement.

Perez was taken to a Modesto-area hospital and was listed in stable condition Monday.

Investigators located several shotgun shells in the area that were seized for evidence.

Joseph said the motive for the shooting has not been determined. Possible gang connections in the case have not been ruled out. It was also unclear whether multiple suspects were involved in the attack.

A home in the 1700 block of Elm Avenue was also struck by gunfire, but no injuries were reported. A window at the home sustained minor damage, police said.

“No witnesses were found or came forward while at the scene; however, several individuals called the department after observing the victim on the ground,” Joseph said.

Perez has a history with law enforcement and was arrested earlier this year after police said he interfered with an unrelated arrest in May. The police said at the time that Perez became combative while officers were arresting a family member. Police used a stun gun to subdue Perez, who tried to escape from the police vehicle a short time later, authorities said in May.

He pleaded no contest and was sentenced to 75 days in the county jail, according to Merced County Superior Court records.

Perez was arrested in 2011 in connection with a burglary at at shoe store in Atwater and pleaded no contest that same year, according to court records.

Sunday’s shooting was the second serious assault reported over the weekend in Atwater.

A suspect identified only as a Latino adult named “Anthony” cut another man’s face Saturday night during an argument over unidentified property, police said.

Jason Foreman, 35, suffered a gash on his chin that was bandaged at the scene. He declined further medical attention, police said.

Foreman told police he was involved in fight just before midnight Saturday with a suspect who pulled a knife during the confrontation.

Few details were available regarding the suspect’s identity. Police described him as a Latino male in his 20s who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, beanie-style hat and a scarf covering his face.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Atwater Police Department at (209) 357-6394. Tips can remain anonymous.

Staff writer Rob Parsons can be reached at rparsons@mercedsunstar.com or (209) 385-2482.

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service