Children’s party facility gets approved for G Street

cpride@losbanosenterprise.comJanuary 11, 2014 

Parents will have some place local to celebrate their children’s birthdays thanks to actions taken Wednesday by the reconfigured Planning Commission.

Commissioners voted unanimously to allow AAA Jumpers & Slides to open at 115 W. G St., Suite D, near Comcast. The business will be an indoor bounce house facility with concessions such as cotton candy, snow cones, popcorn and pizza.

According to city records, owner Thomas Ruelas II operates the company as a mobile business. The new location in an industrial park will allow him to provide a destination for birthday parties, school field trips and other family-friendly activities.

Commission Chairman Tom Spada said the business like AAA Jumpers & Slides is needed in Los Banos.

“This means more jobs in town, and I’m always lovin’ to see that,” Spada said. “It’s neat for families. It’s something we need in town. It fills a void we have. I’m happy to see that.”

Commissioner Tom Mello said there’s plenty of parking in the West G Street area. His concern about food being prepared on-site was eliminated when he learned the food will be catered.

Assistant Planner Stacy Elms said there are similar facilities in Lathrop, Clovis and Hollister.

“They’re operated by popular chains ... in Lathrop, my niece has gone there and told me how great it is,” Elms said.

The business is planning to operate from noon to 9 p.m. seven days a week.

Also at the meeting, the commission welcomed three new members. Steve Hammond, who served on the board previously, John Cates and Todd Baker replaced Vern Hixson, Tracey Rosin and Jose Gonzalez. City Manager Steve Carrigan and Mayor Mike Villalta greeted them.

Carrigan said he plans to set up workshops so the new members have a better understanding of the types of projects they are likely to review in the next year. Carrigan said he is expecting more development in 2014.

“I spent a lot of time with developers second half of last year,” Carrigan said. “We’re calling in to developers in January to find out where are you building and where are you looking at. There was a lot of talking in 2013 and I’m optimistic in 2014, now’s the time.”

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service