The UC Merced women’s basketball team’s sharpshooting continued on Saturday night as the Bobcats made history at Hostetler Court.
The Bobcats recorded consecutive victories for the first time in school history, 68-59 over Cal Maritime. Kevin Pham’s squad hit double-digit 3-pointers and shot at least 50 percent from beyond the arc for the second game in a row.
Alexis Wu (20 points, six assists) led three Bobcats (3-12, 2-2 California Pacific Confernece) in double-figure scoring. Shelby Howard added 15 points and Maya Campo added 10.
Center Adrienne Carmona also had a productive night in the paint with six points, seven rebounds, three steals and two blocks.
• MERCED COLLEGE 82, TAFT 63, at Taft – Sonji Green’s double-double (33 points, 10 rebounds) and Brenai Walker’s 22 points helped the Lady Devils (13-7, 2-1 CVC) erase a halftime deficit and blow past Taft in the final 20 minutes.
Trinity Washington (12 points, 10 assists) ran the offense efficiently and Rogeene Russell chipped in 10 points and seven rebounds.
• CAL MARITIME 90, UC MERCED 63 – George Idehen returned to the Bobcat lineup and almost turned in a triple-double (11 points, 14 rebounds, eight assists), but they couldn’t keep pace with the steady, balanced attack of NAIA D2 No. 18 Cal Maritime.
The Bobcats (2-18, 0-4 Cal Pac) turned the ball over 17 times, including 13 steals by the Keelhaulers.
Ryan Edwards also had 11 points for UCM, while Griffin Alexander chipped in nine.
• COLUMBIA 63, MERCED COLLEGE 50 – The Blue Devils got point guard Gerami Dixon back after a long injury stint, but played without one of its top scorers in Jermaine Crawford. That hurt as Columbia’s Rafe King struck for 8 3-pointers in a win at Don Reid Court.
Aaron Deatherage paced MC (2-14, 1-3 CVC) with 13 points and Paul Wilson finished with 12.
• GOLDEN VALLEY WINS GREGORI TOURNAMENT, at Modesto – The Golden Valley wrestling team had 13 wrestlers medal on their way to winning the Joseph A. Gregori Memorial Wrestling Tournament on Saturday for a second straight year.
The Cougars ran away from the pack with 253.5 points. Hughson was second with 118.5 points. Merced finished fourth with 112.5 points.
Golden Valley’s Criselio Rivera (108 pounds) and Tanner Browning (115) both won individual titles. Joey Terry (147), Ethan Morse (147) and Nick Lemas (154) all finished second for the Cougars.
Merced’s Kenneth Hamel won the 184-pound division and was named the Outstanding Upper Weight Wrestler of the tournament. Bears teammate Romeo Medina (154) also won an individual title. Teammate Christian Leyva (162) finished second.
Buhach Colony’s Davidson Ribiero (172) and Jay Johnson (197) both finished second in their respective divisions.
• GOLDEN VALLEY 73, ROOSEVELT 70, at Hanford – Christian Carroll scored 25 points as the Cougars (14-5) knocked off a talented Roosevelt team from East Dale.
Evan Stillahn had 19 points and Josh Sykes 18 for Golden Valley.