Where to find help
01/29/2010 3:54 AM
01/29/2010 3:54 AM
Where to Find Help
For health issues:
If you are in crisis, or worried about a relative or friend, please seek help immediately:
- Call 911
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides trained counselors at (800) 273-8255, TTY: (800) 799-4889.
- Merced County crisis hotline: (209) 381-6800.
- Valley Crisis Center: (209) 722-4357 (emergency shelter and transportation for victims of domestic violence).
For housing issues:
- Catholic Charities, 336 W. Main St., (209) 383-2494 (motel vouchers and food for single parents and children).
- Merced Community Action Agency, 317 E. 15th St., (209) 725-8188 (emergency shelter).
- Merced County Human Services Agency, 2115 W. Wardrobe Ave., (209) 385-3000 (motel vouchers, food stamps, referrals for other help).
- Merced County Rescue Mission, 1921 Canal Street, (209) 722-9269 (men's shelter).
- Los Banos Rescue Mission, 1231 Fourth Street, Los Banos (209) 827-0797.
- Merced Continuum of Care, (209) 723-3153, ext. 318 (for referrals to emergency shelter, free food, health care, and other personal needs).
For foreclosure issues:
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at (800) 569-4287 or www.hud.gov, to contact federally-approved foreclosure avoidance counselors.
If you feel you were a victim of predatory loan practices, or tricked into loan terms you wouldn't have been comfortable with if fully disclosed, contact these organizations:
- The Federal Trade Commission: (877) 382-4357
- California Attorney General: (916) 445-9555
Central California Better Business Bureau: (559) 222-8111, www.cencal.bbb.org
Sources: Centers for Disease Control, Merced Continuum of Care
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.