Where to Find Help
For health issues:
If you are in crisis, or worried about a relative or friend, please seek help immediately:
- Call 911
Never miss a local story.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides trained counselors at (800) 273-8255, TTY: (800) 799-4889.
- Merced County crisis hotline: (209) 381-6800.
- Valley Crisis Center: (209) 722-4357 (emergency shelter and transportation for victims of domestic violence).
For housing issues:
- Catholic Charities, 336 W. Main St., (209) 383-2494 (motel vouchers and food for single parents and children).
- Merced Community Action Agency, 317 E. 15th St., (209) 725-8188 (emergency shelter).
- Merced County Human Services Agency, 2115 W. Wardrobe Ave., (209) 385-3000 (motel vouchers, food stamps, referrals for other help).
- Merced County Rescue Mission, 1921 Canal Street, (209) 722-9269 (men's shelter).
- Los Banos Rescue Mission, 1231 Fourth Street, Los Banos (209) 827-0797.
- Merced Continuum of Care, (209) 723-3153, ext. 318 (for referrals to emergency shelter, free food, health care, and other personal needs).
For foreclosure issues:
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at (800) 569-4287 or www.hud.gov, to contact federally-approved foreclosure avoidance counselors.
If you feel you were a victim of predatory loan practices, or tricked into loan terms you wouldn't have been comfortable with if fully disclosed, contact these organizations:
- The Federal Trade Commission: (877) 382-4357
- California Attorney General: (916) 445-9555
Central California Better Business Bureau: (559) 222-8111, www.cencal.bbb.org
Sources: Centers for Disease Control, Merced Continuum of Care