My Favorite Ride: Falcon Futura travels with the best of 'em
11/14/2013 7:15 PM
11/15/2013 12:36 AM
The car: 1963 Falcon Futura convertible
The owner: Gene and Barbara Holiday, Atwater
1. What are the key features of your vehicle? For an inexpensive vehicle originally, it can now travel with the best of them.
2. What did you have to do to it to get it in its present state? Originally it had a six-cylinder, 170-cubic-inch engine with a three-speed manual transmission. I put a Ford 289-cubic-inch V-8 engine with a C4 automatic transmission, 8-inch rear end, power steering, air conditioning, five-lug wheels, dual exhaust, a new top, carpets, upholstery and paint in 1985.
3. What else do you want to do to it? Just maintain it, drive it and show it.
4. How did you acquire your vehicle? I saw it in a driveway in Merced. I bought it in 1984.
5. Why did you pick that particular vehicle and what do you find appealing about it? I wanted a convertible and never owned one. I also liked the body lines.
6. What started your love affair with cars? In 1962, my family car was wrecked, and I bought a 1938 Dodge coupe for transportation. My wife and I liked it so much, I restored it and I still have it.
7. What advice would you give others about starting such a project? Pick a vehicle you like, take your time and fix it the way you want it.
8. Do you have any other collector vehicles or project cars? I have a 1915 Ford Model T Runabout, a 1938 Dodge Coupe, a 1963 Falcon four-door sedan and a 1947 Lincoln two-door convertible. I’m still working on the 1963 four-door Falcon.
9. What’s your favorite memory about this ride? Driving in the mountains and in Yosemite with the top down.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.