A project advisory group has been named for the new Los Banos Courthouse, according to a press release from the Administration Office of the Courts.
The new courthouse would replace the existing, overcrowded structure in Los Banos with a two-courtroom building.
The existing courthouse is "functionally deficient and significantly lacking in security features meeting current standards," the press release said.
The advisory group will provide advice about the project during the site selection and design phases. The site selection process could take up to two years, the press release said. Later this month, the AOC will begin conducting a search for an architectural and engineering firm for the project.
The courthouse project is estimated to cost $32.6 million. It is funded by Senate Bill 1407, which finances new and renovated court buildings rather than use the state's general fund.
Members of the project advisory group are:
- Edward M. Amaral, attorney, Germino, Amaral, & Jordan;
- Commander Gary Brizzee, City of Los Banos Police Department;
- Jim Brown, Assistant County Executive Officer, County of Merced;
- Larry Combs, county executive officer, County of Merced;
- Kim Davis, Manager, design and construction, AOC;
- Kathleen Goetsch, executive officer, Superior Court of Merced County;
- John D. Kirihara, presiding judge, Superior Court of Merced County;
- Chief Mark Knapp, Chief of Police, City of Los Banos Police Department;
- Donnelle Long, deputy court administrator, Superior Court of Merced County;
- Brian L. McCabe, assistant presiding judge, Superior Court of Merced County;
- Paul Menard, senior facilities planner, AOC;
- Jerry O’Banion, Supervisor, County of Merced Board of Supervisors;
- Sheriff Mark Pazin, Merced County Sheriff;
- Steve Rath, City Manager, City of Los Banos;
- Marty Shugart, supervisor, clerk's office, Superior Court of Merced County;
- Joe Thims, senior security coordinator, AOC;
- William A. Vaughn, city attorney, City of Los Banos;
- Sergeant Gerard Verderber, Merced County Sheriff's Department;
- Steve Wagner, facility operations supervisor, AOC;
- Jeannette Wong, senior real estate analyst, AOC