Since the recession began in 2007, California's poorest households have seen their incomes decline almost twice as fast as its wealthiest residents, according to a Sacramento Bee analysis of new census data.
Some of that is due to broader job losses for low-skill occupations, and some of it is a continuation of a longstanding trend toward greater income inequality. Those among the wealthiest 20 percent of households in California now earn, on average, about $15 for every $1 earned by their counterparts among the poorest 20 percent of California households.
Average California household income by quintile, with change from 2006-2010
Never miss a local story.
Because of these trends, 20 percent of California's households now control more income than the remaining 80 percent.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Note: 2006 income figures adjusted for inflation.