1931 Model A Ford is a head-turner
02/13/2014 5:43 PM
02/13/2014 5:44 PM
The car: 1931 Model A Ford closed-cab pickup
The owner: Mike Thurber, Atwater.
1. What are the key features of your vehicle? The fact that it is a daily driver pickup and just bursting with 83 years of history.
2. What did you have to do to get it in its present state? I tore this truck apart back in 2000 and did a complete ground-up restoration, adding a Borg Warner overdrive (transmission) and a 12-volt electrical system.
3. What else do you want to do to it? I’d like to repaint it and add some padding to the seats along with putting on the new tires I have for it. I might even add a few modern things like a GPS unit and stereo.
4. How did you acquire your vehicle? I bought it in Oakdale when I went up there to buy another truck, but it had sold, so I bought this one from the same guy.
5. Why did you pick that particular vehicle and what do you find appealing about it? I bought it because I wanted a old truck to hot rod and use as a daily driver for work being a property manager.
6. What started your love affair with cars? The fact that I was fascinated by how cars kept running after all the abuse I gave them and the freedom they gave me.
7. What advice would you give others about starting such a project? Find a vehicle that you really like and get ready to spend one heck of a lot of time and money on it.
8. Do you have any other collector vehicles or project cars? Yes. I have my Shelby Cobra, a 1928 Ford coupe and a 1935 Hudson humpback sedan that is almost finished.
9. What’s your favorite memory about this ride? After finishing the truck I joined a local Model A Ford club and they treated me like a family member. That was something I never had growing up in foster homes.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.