Jury selection begins in Dos Palos homicide case
07/08/2014 6:26 PM
07/08/2014 6:27 PM
Jury selection began Tuesday in the trial of a teenage suspected gang member from Dos Palos accused of killing another teen last year.
Ryan O. Suarez, 16, has pleaded not guilty in connection with the June 23, 2013, shooting death of 15-year-old John Carlos Cordero-Juarez at a park on Reynolds Avenue in South Dos Palos.
Suarez was charged as an adult because of the serious nature of the case, the Merced County District Attorney’s Office said.
No statements or testimony was heard Tuesday as jury selection took the full day before Judge Ronald W. Hansen in Merced Superior Court.
Suarez faces a maximum sentence of 25 years to life if convicted.
The Merced County Sheriff’s Department said the shooting occurred in a park after an altercation between rival gang members.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.