House catches fire after stove is left on

03/14/2014 12:42 PM

03/14/2014 12:48 PM

A two-alarm fire Thursday morning has displaced a man and his son, according to Los Banos Fire Chief Chet Guintini.

Eighteen firefighters, three city engines and one from Merced County responded to a house fire on the 2000 block of Park Place Court at 7:30 a.m.

Guintini said a man left for work and did not turn off his stove. A frying pan caught fire, which led to the kitchen and attic being destroyed, Guintini said.

He said the man lives with his son, who was not home at the time of the fire. No one was hurt, according to Guintini.

The Fire Department has put the family in touch with the Red Cross because, Guintini said, “The home is technically uninhabitable.”

Guintini said residents should practice caution by checking to make sure appliances are off before they leave home to prevent incidents like this one.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service