A Waterford mother's condition was improving Friday after she was hospitalized for burns she suffered while fleeing the burning apartment she shared with her two sons early Wednesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Yvette Goure, 33, suffered first- and second-degree burns in the fire that gutted her residence, according to the Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District. Goure was in the burn unit at the University of California Medical Center in Sacramento, where she was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon.
On Wednesday, she was listed in serious condition. Goure lived in the apartment with her 12-year-old and 8-year-old sons. Her father-in-law, Bill McCarthy, said his grandchildren were not injured.
The fire occurred shortly after midnight at the apartment complex in the 13000 block of Welch Street, just east of Tim Bell Road in Waterford. The complex has three two-story apartments.