Early morning fires Sunday in Riverbank — one in a mobile home, the other in a travel trailer — left seven people homeless.
The first call came at 4:44 a.m. to the Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District.
Capt. Clint Bray said firefighters responded to a single-wide mobile home at 2305 Patterson Road, where a space heater apparently placed too close to a bed caught the bedding on fire. The three residents escaped unharmed and are staying with neighbors, but the mobile home was destroyed, Bray said.
"I'd like to remind everyone to keep a distance between their electric space heater and other household items," he said.
The second call came at 5:10 a.m. to 5372 Litt Road for a fire that started in an occupied trailer and spread to a nearby home, said Stanislaus Consolidated Capt. Josh Tucker.
Investigators believe the man living in the trailer was smoking and then knocked over an ashtray, which started the fire. The trailer was inches from the house, Tucker said, which allowed the fire to to spread to the home and its attic.
Firefighters had to pull down the ceiling to put the blaze out, he said.
There were no injuries, and the Red Cross provided emergency shelter for the four people displaced.