At least three Oakdale city staff members went to the hospital for observation after they were possibly exposed to carbon monoxide at the city planning division office on South Sierra Avenue.
At about 7:30 a.m., a staff member who opened the office noticed an unusual odor and called emergency services. The building was evacuated and Oakdale firefighters found a central heating unit motor was burned out.
Slight traces of carbon monoxide were detected in the building, said Jeromy Albrecht, a relief specialist for Oakdale Fire Department.
An ambulance transported one staff member to Oak Valley Hospital. She complained of feeling lightheaded and trouble breathing. Two or three others went to the hospital to be checked out.
Their conditions were not available.
The planning office is in the former Hershey’s Visitors Center. The office won’t be used until the heating unit is repaired and the building is clear of contaminants, Albrecht said.