SACRAMENTO — Glass fragments turned up in soup served to patients at Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Northern California, the health care giant said today.
The incident, involving a batch of chicken noodle soup, took place Feb. 10.
Kaiser said the glass was discovered by four hospital patients. Kaiser said it stopped serving the rest of the soup.
Spokesman Edwin Garcia wouldn't disclose the hospitals involved.
Never miss a local story.
Garcia said none of the patients complained of any complications or health problems related to the soup.
"The risk of harm from this incident is extremely low, as the vast majority of any small foreign bodies ingested — even glass fragments — pass through the body within 2-3 days without complications," Kaiser said in a press release.
Kaiser said it is contacting all patients who ordered the soup that day to advise them of possible symptoms.
The disclosure was confirmed by FoodService Partners, which prepared the chicken noodle soup at its South San Francisco commissary.
"Corrective action plans were put in place to ensure an incident like this never happens again," the company said.