A fire destroyed a small apartment in Ceres on Monday afternoon, fire officials reported. A resident was welding in the garage when he caught something on fire, said Ceres Fire Battalion Chief Michael Lillie. He said the blaze caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the building and $10,000 to its contents. He said the Red Cross was called to provide assistance to the apartment's two residents. Lillie said the building was a detached garage that had been converted into an apartment with garage. It was behind the main residence, which was not damaged. The fire was reported at 2:02 p.m. in the 1300 block of Central Avenue. Lillie said there were no injuries.