Two people escaped injury after a fire was discovered in the attic of their Ceres home early Monday, authorities said.
Firefighters responded to a 6:34 a.m. report of smoke in the attic vents at 1913 Fifth St., according to Michael Lillie, battalion chief for the Ceres Fire Department.
The homeowner reported smelling smoke in the house Sunday night, but couldn't find anything. When he went outside to get his newspaper Monday morning, he noticed the smoke, Lillie said.
Fire crews arrived four minutes later and used a thermal-imaging camera to locate the hot spot in the attic.
Never miss a local story.
Once they discovered the hot spot, they removed the contents of the attic and took down the ceiling, where they found burning insulation and fire damage to the joists and the roof.
Lillie said the fire is still under investigation but is likely due to an electrical issue. He estimated the damage to the 1958 single-story home at about $20,000.
The man and woman who live in the home were displaced because electricity had to be shut off, but they found temporary housing on their own, Lillie said.
Three engines, one truck and one battalion chief -- for a total of 15 firefighters -- responded to the scene.