The Buzz: Tim Donnelly won't face legal action for gun use
02/21/2014 10:50 PM
02/21/2014 10:58 PM
DA says probation didn’t block Donnelly’s gun use
Tim Donnelly will not face legal action in San Bernardino County for his heavily publicized use of firearms at campaign events in recent weeks, with the local prosecutor saying Friday that terms of Donnelly’s probation do not prohibit such activities.
The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office said last week that it was “looking into” the Republican gubernatorial candidate’s firing and handling of guns at a gun store and gun range, after the Twin Peaks assemblyman pleaded no contest in 2012 to two misdemeanor charges following authorities’ discovery of a firearm in his carry-on bag at Ontario International Airport.
One of the conditions of his probation is that he not “personally use, own or possess any firearm that is not registered to him.”
In a written statement Friday, San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael Ramos said the terms of Donnelly’s probation were “never intended to apply to shooting at a gun range” and that “no further action will be taken.”
“This matter is closed, and no further comment will be made,” Ramos said. “I will not allow our office to be used for political purposes.”
– David Siders
“I’m not fearful of the Army coming and marching on my home, so I don’t have guns to try to defend myself against the Army.”
NEEL KASHKARI, GOP candidate for governor and gun owner, saying he supports the Second Amendment but that gun laws should be “reasonable”
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.