Merced fire sends three people to hospital

02/28/2013 12:48 PM

02/28/2013 8:48 PM

MERCED — A two-alarm fire gutted part of a Merced home Thursday morning, sending three people to the hospital, according to Merced Fire Department Chief Mike McLaughlin.

The blaze was reported at 10:50 a.m. at a one-story home on 733 Robinson Drive. Fire officials said the blaze started in an attached apartment unit behind the home.

Four fire engines responded to the blaze, which knocked down in about 15 minutes, McLaughlin said.

After an investigation, officials have ruled the fire an accident, he added.

McLaughlin said the fire began after a man living inside the apartment dropped a cigarette in his room. The tenant, an unidentified man in his 60s, was also using a home oxygen tank, he said.

The combination of the oxygen and cigarette caused the fire to grow rapidly, McLaughlin said.

“Anything hot around upholstery and furniture is always dangerous,” he said. “But when you have oxygen, it’s that much worse. It took a bad situation and made it worse.”

The owner of the home, J.J. Thuener, 31, said the man used oxygen for various health problems. When the fire broke out Thursday morning, Thuener said he heard the man calling his name.

I saw the flames coming out of his bedroom window and it was so hot,” Thuener said. “I went to get a garden hose and had to pull him out.”

Three people were taken to the hospital for observation and treatment of smoke inhalation, including the man and a friend who was visiting Thuener’s mother. A neighbor was also taken by ambulance to the hospital.

The victims, who’s names aren’t being released because of hospital privacy rules, are listed in stable condition with minor injuries.

However, the apartment unit is considered a total loss, according to McLaughlin.

Reporter Ramona Giwargis can be reached at (209) 385-2477 or

Join the Discussion

Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service