Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) said it has launched its annual Winter Gas Savings Program, where all eligible customers who reduce their cumulative gas usage during January and February will receive an automatic bill credit.
Customers who reduce usage up to 10 percent will receive an equal percentage credit on their spring gas bill. For example, a customer who reduces his usage by 2 percent will receive a 2 percent credit. Customers who reduce their gas usage by 10 percent or more will automatically receive a 20 percent credit. Last year, more than 2.3 million customers reduced their gas usage and earned bill credits totaling $59 million.
Customers can take simple steps to reduce their gas consumption, PG&E said in a news release:
· Lower the thermostat to 68 degrees during the daytime (health permitting)
Never miss a local story.
· Set the water heater to 120 degrees or the “normal” setting
· Wash clothes in cold water versus hot
· Open blinds and drapes on sunny days
· Microwave small amounts of food instead of heating them up in the oven
Customers can find tips, tools and resources to help conserve gas by visiting, www.pge.com/wintergassavings. Customers can also calculate their savings and send an “Appliance-Gram” to family and friends to help them discover ways to save natural gas and money this winter, PG&E said.