Local

No injuries reported in Merced 20th Street house fire

No injuries were reported Monday in a house fire at 320 E. 20th St. in Merced.

The Merced Fire Department has determined the fire was electrical, blamed on a malfunctioning clothes dryer in the laundry room, according to Battalion Chief Don Roe.

Two adults and one child were displaced by the fire.

Firefighters responded to the scene at 10:27 a.m. and found the laundry room of the 500- square-foot home engulfed in flames. The fire also extended into the attic.

Roe said about 25 percent of the home was burned and no neighboring structures were damaged. The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes.

Firefighters determined the house is uninhabitable until repairs can be made. The Red Cross responded to assist the home's occupants.

-- Sun-Star staff

  Comments