Modesto inmate's walkoff costs him two years

A Modesto man who walked away from a work crew while he was serving a 345-day sentence at the Stanislaus County Honor Farm got a week of freedom, some dog bites from a K-9 and two more years in prison.

Darren Ray Waid, 20, pleaded no contest to escape and battery on a police dog Monday in Stanislaus County Superior Court, 11 days after he was arrested at the end of a foot chase that left him huddling behind some garden statues in a yard near Marsha Way and India Way.

Sheriff's Department spokesman deputy Royjindar Singh said the case of the fleet-footed escapee shows a universal truth about modern policing: Bad guys run, but the dog always wins.

"He's not going to outrun the dog," Singh said.

Waid walked away from an eight-inmate work crew posted at John Thurman Field about 9 a.m. on April 23. The crew was supervised by an employee from the city, who called police when he noticed Waid was missing.

Waid had served one month of a 345-day sentence for obstructing a peace officer, evading a peace officer, receiving stolen property and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Would have been done in October

If he had stayed put, Waid would have been released Oct. 28. Walking away from the work crew more than doubled his time behind bars and added two more felonies to his record.

Authorities from multiple agencies searched for Waid but came up empty.

On May 1, a tip sent police to a home in the 3000 block of Carver Road.

As the officers approached, someone yelled, "It's the police," and Waid fled on foot, running out the back door of the house, the district attorney's office said in a statement.

Waid ignored officers' orders to stop and surrender, but a canine was hot on his heels. When officers caught up to their suspect, Waid was punching the dog, which bit him in the shin, according to the statement. Waid was treated at Doctors Medical Center, then booked at jail.

Bee staff writer Susan Herendeen can be reached at or 578-2338.