Ceremonies commemorating Memorial Day are planned around the Northern San Joaquin Valley and foothills this weekend. Here is a partial listing:
- MANTECA: 11 a.m. ceremony at Manteca City Hall honoring Medal of Honor recipient Sammy Davis. 239-1371 or www.thememorialweekend.com.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Merced Sun-Star
- MANTECA: First Assembly of God Church, 486 Button Ave. 2 and 6 p.m. "Not Forgotten" drama and musical. 239-1371 or www.thememorialweekend.com.
- MODESTO: Modesto Christian School, 5755 Sisk Road. 10:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. Flag ceremony for fallen soldiers, and afternoon events. Flag ceremony, gun salute, honor guard, appreciation for public safety, Chinook helicopter landing. Ongoing "Freedom Isn't Free" military memorial display. 402-6991.
- MANTECA: Flags over Manteca at Sunrise. 9 a.m. Dedication of memorial at Big League Dreams. 10:30 a.m. ceremony at East Union Cemetery. 8 p.m. playing of "Taps" at Big League Dreams.
- MODESTO: Seventh Street Bridge. 9 a.m. Flowers dropped into Tuolumne River in memory of military personnel lost at sea. 529-8192.
- MODESTO: Acacia Memorial Park, 801 Scenic Drive, 11 a.m. 522-0452.
- HUGHSON: Lakewood Memorial Park, 900 Santa Fe Ave., 1 p.m. Speakers, laying of a wreath, songs, bagpiper. 664-1599.
- TURLOCK: Turlock Memorial Park, Soderquist Road and West Main Avenue. 10 a.m. 632-9111.
- CERES: Ceres Memorial Park, Whitmore Avenue, west of Highway 99. On Saturday at 8 a.m., crosses placed on graves by Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion volunteers. Monday at 6 a.m., Avenue of Flags placed. Volunteers are welcome to arrive at 5:30 a.m. to help set up. Memorial service at 10 a.m. to include pinning poppies on wreaths in memory of those lost in war, color guard and rifle salute. 538-3432.
- NEWMAN: Hills Ferry Cemetery, Stuhr and Draper roads, west of Highway 33. 11 a.m. March to the flagpole, music, guest speaker, wreath laying. 854-3488.
- HUGHSON: Lakewood Memorial Park, 900 Santa Fe Ave., 1 p.m. Al Menshew, state veterans legislative representative for the American Legion, master of ceremonies. Gold Star father Michael Anderson Sr. will speak. Bagpipes and bugler. 21-gun salute. 883-4465.
- MERCED: District Cemetery, 1300 B St. 10:30 a.m. Wreath laying, rifle salute, Taps, guest speaker. 723-1169 or 722-0940.
- TURLOCK: Turlock Community Auditorium, 1574 E. Canal Drive, 1 to 6 p.m. Memorial Day Gospel Fest. Tickets are $12 advance, $15 at door, children younger than 12 and students free. Tickets at Beardsley's in Modesto and Family Bible in Turlock. 538-3838.
- COLUMBIA: The Columbia Dragoons will re-enact historical events from Tuolumne Rangers, Civil War volunteers. A Historical Black Powder salute presented by The Columbia Grenadine Belles and The Columbia Foot Dragoons. Columbia City Cemetery, Columbia. 11 a.m. 533-3663.