A fire gutted a garage Monday night after a motorcycle battery being used to charge a drill burst into flames on property near Colorado and Rouse avenues in Modesto.
Nobody was injured, although two residences were evacuated, according to Pam Hillar, public information officer with the Burbank-Paradise Fire Protection District.
Hillar said a man was improperly charging a drill when the battery overheated and caught fire about 8:35 p.m., igniting something in the garage. There were initial reports of injuries to a 3-year-old girl, but an ambulance crew determined she was not hurt and released her to her parents.
Four engines, three from Burbank-Paradise and one from the Woodland Avenue Fire District, responded to the blaze. The amount of damage was unknown. Firefighters had the fire contained in less than an hour.