State

Fire damages home of former Modesto City Councilman Denny Jackman

A fire broke out in the home of former Modesto City Councilman Denny Jackman today, causing as much as $100,000 in damage.

No one was home when the fire started, and there were no injuries, said Battalion Chief Mark Johansen. He said the cause appears to be accidental. He said officials traced the fire’s origin to a section of the house with the hot water heater and electrical wiring.

Johansen said the fire on the 500 block of Laurel Avenue was reported at 12:10 p.m. and firefigthers had it under control within 30 minutes. He said firefighters confined the blaze to two bedrooms, one on the first floor, the other on the second floor. He said the fire caused $75,000 to $100,000 in damage.

Thirty firefighters fought the blaze.

Jackman, who was defeated by Kristin Olsen in a runoff election in December 2005, could not be reached for comment.

  Comments