State

Hearing pushed back in Modesto man's killing

A judge pushed back a court hearing Wednesday for six people charged in the shooting death of Karl Johnson of Modesto to give the defense more time to review evidence.

Johnson's wife, listed in court documents as Carol Laverne Harris, 51, is among those charged with killing the 39-year-old in his northeast Modesto home Aug. 30.

The six defendants will be back in court Nov. 4.

Harris, Desamona Crowder, 24, of Fresno, George Marvin Willoughby Jr., 24, of Oakland and Dasheme Kareme Hosley, 30, of Berkeley were all charged with murder, according to court documents.

Alisia Shantay Brown, 19, of Oakland, and Deleon Abdul Jabbar Hosley, 28, of Berkeley were charged with felony accessory to murder, the documents said.

Police saying little

Police have released little information about the case, citing an ongoing investigation. They have not said whether a murder weapon was found, nor have they commented on the suspects' relationship with Johnson.

But a gun enhancement added to the criminal complaint identifies Dasheme Kareme Hosley as firing a weapon to cause Johnson's death.

Officers were called to the house in the 2900 block of Lincoln Oak Drive, just south of Ustach Middle School, at 4:48 a.m. on Aug. 30, according to Sgt. Brian Findlen. When they arrived, they found Karl Johnson, who had been shot. He was taken to a Modesto hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

  Comments