Six defendants sentenced in Stanislaus County to life in prison were found unsuitable for parole, the district attorney's office said Tuesday. They are:
- Surya Chand, 60, of Seattle, was convicted of murder, attempted murder and felony hit-and-run charges on April 29, 1983. Chand was drunk at a wedding reception and got involved in several fistfights. After the reception ended, he drove his car at a high speed with the lights off, striking two victims, killing one and seriously injuring a child in the parking lot of Modesto's American Legion Hall 26.
- Jonnie Dietzman, 48, of Modesto pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in 1994 for a home-invasion robbery in Modesto. Dietzman's co-defendant, Michael Stephens, demanded drugs and money from Jose Calderon, then shot him in the face with a shotgun at point-blank range in front of his wife. As the victim lay dying, Dietzman rifled through his pockets for cash and robbed five others as Stevens held them at gunpoint.
- Amador Gallegos, 46, of San Jose was convicted of the second-degree murder of his girlfriend in 1999 in Modesto. The defendant was on drugs and had been drinking when he severely beat his girlfriend and strangled her to death.
- Terry Clark, 60, of Modesto was convicted of murder and attempted voluntary manslaughter in 1982. Clark and co-defendant William Smith shot and killed Harold Parker and wounded Lonnie Duford because they mistakenly believed they had stolen property from them and molested Smith's wife. The defendants lured the victims to an Empire home by promising to sell them methamphetamine and then ambushed them.
- John Free, 59, of Modesto was convicted of murder in 1980 when he and his brother stabbed Luther Fear six times, then shot him twice with a .45-caliber pistol at a Modesto bar over a dispute regarding a woman.
- Catarino Martinez, 42, of Modesto was convicted of attempted murder and spousal battery in September 1998 for luring his wife, who was planning to divorce him, into his home. Once inside, he attacked her from behind and stabbed her five times. She was able to get away.