Residents at the Sundial Palms Assisted Living and Memory Care on McHenry Avenue were evacuated this morning after reports of a smell of smoke.
The Modesto Fire Department arrived on scene at about 7:45 a.m. and began evacuating residents and looking for any signs of fire in the building at 808 McHenry Ave.
All the residents are safely out of the building.
Fire crews found a burned out breaker box that was the source of the smoke, according to Terry Inderbitzen, battalion chief for the Modesto Fire Department.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Merced Sun-Star
He said fire crews aired out of the building, and residents were then allowed back in.
At least one lane of northbound McHenry Avenue was shut down while crews tended to residents. All lanes were open an hour later.