An Orange County woman who claimed she was kidnapped in Modesto apparently made up the story to hide the fact that she had abandoned her family, which includes five children, ages 8 months to 8 years old, authorities said this morning.
Modesto police say she wanted to be with her boyfriend, and had been living with the man the past two weeks in the 300 block of East Coolidge Avenue.
On Thursday, the two apparently had a dispute and that’s when she left the home and called police, telling them she had been held against her will.
That part of the story has not been substantiated, although police are still following up allegations that he had sexually assaulted her, according to Sgt. Rick Armendariz of the Modesto Police Department.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Merced Sun-Star
Police are still investigating the matter, and are not identifying her. No arrests have been made. She’s still in the area, and police were expecting to interview her again today.
Armendariz said she could face charges of making a false report, along with others related to child abandonment.
On Thursday at 6:30 p.m., police received a 911 call from the 33-year-old woman. She told officers she had been kidnapped and held against her will for the last 15 days. She told them the house number on Coolidge, and police immediately went to the home and secured it as a potential crime scene.
As a precaution, she was taken to an nearby hospital for medical treatment. She also made allegations that she had been starved, Armendariz said.
While she was at the hospital, investigators searched the house and contacted her family with the help of the Santa Ana Police Department. She had been reported missing from Santa Ana by family members two weeks ago.
The woman apparently did not have any contact with them for two weeks, and had willingly left there with her boyfriend, police said.
“Once investigators starting getting more information, and began putting it together, they realized there were some gaps that needed to be filled,” Armendariz said. “We were getting more questions than answers.
“At some point late last night (Thursday), we were no longer able to substantiate the allegations,” he said.
Detectives will continue to investigate the sexual assault claim as well as try to determine if any charges should be filed against the woman.
“There’s still work to be done,” Armendariz said.