State - INACTIVE

Fire damages travel trailer, house in Ceres

An elderly Ceres man and his wife escaped injury after a fire raced through a travel trailer behind their home.

At 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday, firefighters were dispatched to the area near the house at 2104 Shushan Drive after a report of smoke, according to Battalion Chief Michael Lillie of the Ceres Fire Department.

An engine was dispatched, and more reports came into the department. By the time firefighters arrived, the trailer was fully engulfed.

The couple was in the front yard, but only after the woman grabbed her husband, who was in the back yard when the fire started and attempted to shut off the propane tanks at the front of the trailer, Lillie said.

Firefighters doused the trailer, and the propane tanks, which were slowly venting the gas thanks to pressure release valves that are automatically triggered when heated to avoid explosion, Lillie said.

The fire extended to the roof of the house. A five-by-five foot section of the shake roof burned, Lillie said, adding that the cool weather helped contain the damage to the roof.

The cause of the fire, which was contained by 3:30 p.m., is under investigation. Lillie estimated the damage to the trailer at $10,000, its contents at $1,200 and the roof at $2,000.

Thirteen firefighters and a battalion chief worked the incident.



View Larger Map
  Comments