State

Gas line from outdoor burner ignites Turlock home

TURLOCK — A fire broke out at a Pioneer Avenue house when a gas line broke loose from an outdoor burner.

According to the Turlock Fire Department, a man was cooking on a burner attached to a propane tank about 10:30 a.m. on Saturday when he went inside to get more ingredients.

The hose broke loose, igniting the gas, a nearby fence and eaves. The fire spread into the attic of the home, causing electrical and structural damage, cutting power to an adjoining house as well.

An occupant of the house suffered a cut toe and singed hair trying to put out the fire; he refused to be taken to the hospital for treatment

Firefighters put out the blaze, which caused an estimated $30,000 in damage, in 20 minutes.

The Red Cross responded to help two residents displaced by the fire.



View Larger Map
  Comments