Levy case timeline: Key events and locations

SEPTEMBER 2000: Chandra Levy begins work as an intern for the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C.

DEC. 23: Levy, in an e-mail to a friend, indicates that she is seeing someone connected to Congress.

APRIL 23, 2001: Levy’s internship ends. She is due back in California by May 11 to receive her master’s degree from the University of Southern California.

APRIL 30: Levy is last seen at the Washington Sports Club, a few blocks from her home. MAY 1: Levy, 24, is last heard from — in an e-mail to her parents, Robert and Susan Levy, in Modesto.

MAY 5: The Levys contact the Washington Metropolitan Police Department to report that their daughter is missing.

MAY 10: Levy’s disappearance becomes public. Rep. Gary Condit, D-Ceres, calls Levy “a great person and a good friend” and announces a $25,000 reward fund, giving $10,000 himself.

MAY 16: Washington police interview Condit.

MAY 24: Police search Levy’s neighborhood and Condit’s nearby neighborhood.

JULY 7: Condit, 53, meets with Washington police for a third time and, according to media reports that Condit has not denied, admits an affair with Levy.

JULY 13: Condit’s lawyer Abbe Lowell announces that Condit passed a privately administered lie detector test. Police and the Levys continue to press for a police-administered test. JULY 27: The FBI interviews Condit for 90 minutes.

AUG. 23: Condit talks with Connie Chung of ABC News.

OCT. 21: Merced Assemblyman Dennis Cardoza, a longtime Condit protégé, announces that he will run against him.

DEC. 7: Less than an hour before the deadline, Condit files for re-election.

MARCH 5, 2002: Cardoza defeats Condit in the Democratic primary, 53.3 percent to 38.7


MAY 22: Levy’s remains are found in Rock Creek Park in Washington.

MAY 28: More than 1,000 people attend a memorial service at Modesto Centre Plaza. Earlier the same day, authorities in Washington announce that the investigation had become a murder probe.

FALL 2002: Ingmar A. Guandique, already being held on charges of attacking two women in Rock Creek Park, is given a polygraph test by the U.S. attorney’s office. On Oct. 1, Guandique’s public defender declares that Guandique “is not linked to the Chandra Levy case by a single shred of evidence.” 2004: Washington police place the investigation in the cold-case file.

JULY 2008: The Washington Post publishes a weeklong series investigating Levy’s slaying. The series concludes that investigators made multiple errors and points in the direction of Guandique as a potential suspect.

MARCH 3, 2009: A judge issues an arrest warrant for Guandique, charging him with first-degree murder.

MAY 27: Guandique formally pleads not guilty to the charges.

OCT. 18: Jury selection begins in Washington D.C. Superior Court.

OCT. 26: On the second day of the trial, Robert Levy, Chandra’s father, testifies that he and his wife, Susan, once considered Condit “the primary suspect” in their daughter’s murder. Also, the second of two women who were attacked by Guandique in Rock Creek Park but escaped tells her story.

NOV. 1: Condit takes the stand and repeatedly refuses to say whether he had an “intimate” relationship with Levy but vigorously insisted he had nothing to do with her murder. “I didn’t commit any crime, and I didn’t do any harm,” Condit said. In a dramatic courtroom confrontation with the prosecution, Condit acknowledges that he used to see Levy or talk with her “a few times a week” and says “she came by the apartment a few times.”

NOV. 4: An inmate testifies Guandique confessed to killing Levy while they shared a prison cell in Kentucky. Armando Morales says Guandique told him that he hadn’t meant to kill Levy but that she died in a robbery gone bad.

NOV. 16: The prosecution and defense rest. U.S. Attorney Amanda Haines said Guandique followed Levy “ he attacked her from behind and he took her down by neck.” Guandique’s attorney, Santa Sonenberg, repeatedly cast doubt of the prosecution’s evidence and suggested Levy might have died someplace other than Rock Creek Park.

MONDAY: After 19 hours of deliberation over four days, the jury of nine women and three men convicts Guandique of two first-degree felony murder charges. He faces a potential sentence of 30 years to life in prison; Washington, D.C. does not have the death penalty.