The Department of Motor Vehicles said all its offices will be closed the first and third Fridays of each month beginning Friday, Feb. 6.
The action arises from the governor’s Executive Order that addresses the state’s $42 billion deficit and ongoing fiscal crisis.
For the month of February, all DMV offices will be closed on Friday, Feb. 6, and Friday, Feb. 20. Offices are typically open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays).
The department offered a number of online services through its Web site (www.dmv.ca.gov) - including payments for vehicle registration and driver license renewals via secure debit transactions, filing a notice of release of liability, change of address and scheduling appointments. Automated services are also available at 1-800-777-0133.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Merced Sun-Star
DMV officials suggested that if a field office visit is necessary, come prepared. They recommended that visitors prepare all necessary paperwork and documents beforehand.
Motorists who have a registration renewal date that falls on a furlough day will have penalties waived until the next business day.
Customers can perform any one of the following transactions and functions on the DMV Web site:
- Schedule office appointments for up to three transactions or for three separate customers;
- Renew driver license;
- Renew vehicle registration
- Make a change of address;
- Register to vote;
- Buy personalized plates;
- File a notice of release of liability
-Check the license status of driver’s education or traffic schools, new or used vehicle dealers;
- File vehicle transfer forms;
- Calculate fees and taxes due;
- Request refunds;
- Find the nearest DMV offices, hours of operation and wait times;
- Make appointments for both car and motorcycle driving skill tests;
- Study the Driver’s Handbook, the Motorcycle Handbook, the Parent-Teen Training Guide;
- Take interactive driver’s license exams
- Answer the most frequently asked questions in extensive archives.