Social Media

Wood-burning stove caused $10K damage in Merced area living room fire

Cal Fire/Merced County Fire Department responded Thursday night to a single-family, single-story structure fire in the 1600 block of Tahoe Street in the Merced area.

No injuries were reported, and the structure suffered an estimated $10,000 damage to the living room.

The first arriving unit found the residents trying to extinguish the fire, which was in the living room. Firefighters directed the residents to leave the structure. The last fire unit left the scene at 10:57 p.m.

The cause of the fire was from a wood-burning stove.

Responding units included three Merced County fire engines, one Merced County water tender and one chief officer.

Separately, on the same night in Atwater, Cal Fire/Merced County Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire in the 3100 block of Ladino Avenue. On arrival firefighters discovered the fire to be a 35-foot-long travel trailer fire. The resident told firefighters they were warming up some food, which caused the fire. Then they left the trailer. No injuries were reported.

The trailer was a total loss, estimated at $5,000 in damage. The last fire unit left the scene at 12:44a.m. Friday.The cause of the fire was cooking.

Responding units included two 2 Merced County fire engines and one Merced County water tender.Sun-Star staff

  Comments