Coroner IDs 15-year-old shooting victim
05/08/2014 9:31 AM
05/08/2014 6:50 PM
A 15-year-old boy was shot to death Wednesday about 9:30 p.m. in the 600 block of W. Eighth Street, police reported.
No suspects are in custody. Police have said the shooting could be gang-motivated, although no further details are available about the circumstances behind the shooting. The victim has been identified as Luis Angel Zavaleta-Rios, according to the Merced County Coroner’s Office.
The victim turned 15 less than a week ago.
Officers responded to a call of shots fired in the area of West Ninth and N streets. Officers arrived on scene and found the victim, who had been shot in the upper body area. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Capt. Tom Trindad.
Five homicides have been reported in the city of Merced this year, and 10 have been reported countywide.
Zavaleta-Rios is the second juvenile homicide victim reported this year in Merced. Sixteen-year-old Donovan Webster was fatally shot Feb. 17 near West 20th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Police said Webster was either walking to a nearby residence or walking back to his home when the shooting happened.
No suspects have been arrested in Webster’s death.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Merced Sun-Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.